LOS ANGELES – Production on the movie Alec Baldwin was shooting when he shot and killed a cinematographer last week has officially been halted, but Western producers have described the move as “a hiatus rather than an end “.
In an email to crew members, the film’s production team confirmed that work on “Rust” has been suspended at least until the investigation is complete. The team said they were working with law enforcement and conducting their own internal security review. The production company also offers grief counseling.
The sheriff’s investigation continued on Monday. The team said they couldn’t respond to comments made in news reports or on social media. The email suggested production could resume at some point.
“Although our hearts are broken and it is difficult to see beyond the horizon, it is, for now, a pause rather than an end,” the email read.
Moments before the shooting, Baldwin was explaining how he was going to take the gun out of its holster and where his arm would be placed, according to court records.
The actor had learned that the weapon could be safely used for rehearsing a scene in which he was supposed to take out the weapon while sitting on a church pew and point it at the camera, according to the archives.
Cameraman Reid Russell told a detective that he was not sure the gun was checked before it was handed over to Baldwin, and he was unsure why the gun was fired.